Thursday, August 04, 2005

Howl's Moving Castle and....



Dunedin Film Festival has been running. I missed Hell on Wheels all about following the Telecom Cycle team in 2004 Tour de France, I missed to French films that sounded interesting but... my friend Rory came in the other day to the office and said 'Fancy coming to see an animation later today?" I couldn't recall the name of what I was heading to, but I am glad that Rory suggested it. The animation/art work was stupendous and especially in its fine details. Howl's Moving Castle is a story by Diana Wynne-Jones. (Looked her up since and see she has written many books all of imaginary worlds and maybe a bit like JKR, though of a different litirary style) This one I want to read having seen the anime. Humour weas throughout it too, and it had several layers or threads you could critique of course. But simply having watched it without coming at it with any Christian take on it, it seemed to address issues of war, but the other aspects of it revealed the main female character Sophie showing immense courage and humility and kindness, even unconditional compassion to others who were enemies and outcasts. I wouldn't say it was cheesy at all either. Although i would say the end seemed lame though. What I did love, was very much a reminder of CS Lewis world in the Magicians Nephew and the many pools that would take you to different worlds. The Moving Castle's front door had a coloured disc turn as you turned the handle and each time it would turn and open into worlds where it is utter darkness and ones where it is on a street and yet another into a utopia. I loved the imagination at work here. So I'm grateful to Rory for introducing me to Miyazaki the Japanese animator of this work. For the reason of the artwork and animation alone it is worth going to see and appreciating!