Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Character of a Servant

I had this film recommended to me and managed to see it Easter Monday. Some reviews seem to belittle it for 'sentimentality', but well I am happy to take that risk. It has subtitles, but if you have enough French from school the pace allows you enough to make it out. It is told by 2 old boys who are significant characters in the main story set back in post war 1948/9 France. They read the diary left by Clement Mathieu (Gerard Jugnot) and the film follows his life through the school from when he arrives at the Fond-de-L'Etang boarding school, an imposing, even intimidating, reformatory boy's school for orphans in the countryside, where he is to be a supervisor, till he leaves. Some critics have slated it for sentimentalising redemtion and hope. I disagree. I actually think that there is an angle that struck me, having simply gone not to analise it but take it and see... for me it was about the character of a servant in Clement Mathieu. His diary entry closes with how he has not done much of significance as a teacher. Yet one discovers the significance was great. An unsung hero, someone who played the second fiddle well and bore the pains of that too. I liked it. I reckon that the message I took from it is simple, straightforward and one that speaks to us about the sort of disicples and leaders the church needs. If you can get to see it go... it's out on DVD in May too.